Wednesday 12 February 2014

Who I am and how I will share my story

Hi! My name is Michelle Gibson and I created this blog to share my experience of nursing my son who has allergic colitis. This blog is not intended to provide nutrition or medical recommendations and/or advice. It is only an outlet to connect and share with others who may be going through the same or similar situation. I also want to share this story with my family and friends so that they can better understand what I have gone through and what I am going through. They have been a tremendous support system and I couldn't have been strong without them. Motherhood alone produces intense emotions that we all experience, and having a baby with a medical condition can throw anyone for a loop. Nurturing an infant with allergic colitis has had me on a roller coaster of emotions several times a day and can range from a spectrum of sadness and anger to relief and happiness. So, I invite you to comment and share any and all of your thoughts and emotions as we go through this journey together.

I am a pediatric dietitian with 10 years of experience. I would consider myself quite knowledgeable in the area of infant nutrition, but of course not a "know it all" in all fields of nutrition and specific population groups.  With my background in infant nutrition I thought I could easily and confidently provide myself with dietary guidance in helping my son's colon heal, well.... I was completely wrong!  With roller coaster emotions combined with sleep deprivation, it was impossible without help to tease and sort out the food culprit that was giving my son bloody stools with every diaper, 7-8 times a day !  I seeked medical help before I was on the downward spiral of being completely frustrated and giving up breastfeeding along with my hopes of nursing my son until he was at least 12 mos of age.

My son is currently 7 mos old, however I am going to blog retrospectively so that I can provide detail of my day to day experiences and share with you all that I did and felt.

Thank you for following and listening to my story !

No comments:

Post a Comment